Increase Cache size or make relative in time

All the requests will be recorded down, and we will consider them one by one.

Increase Cache size or make relative in time

Postby Jurgen » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:01 pm

If possible I would like to have an option to set the cache size to a size of your own choice. Or at least give options larger than 20 MB.
Those sizes are nice when streaming music or smaller movies. But when dealing with e.g. an mkv made up of the original mpeg2 and ac3 streams of a dvd, files sizes of 4 GB and more are very common. Take an average movie of 100 minutes at 4000 MB in size: 20 MB represents 30 seconds of that movie. When for whatever reason your wireless signal is temporally disturbed, 30 seconds to recover is quite a small margin, or if it is an intense part of the movie which requires a high bitrate those 20 MB can quickly become empty. And this is not speaking of streaming original blu-ray discs at their native streams.

So just like some people are requesting smaller cache sizes. I would like to have the option to increase them to possibly 200 MB or whatever the max amount that can be set on my iPad2.
I guess this would be quite a quick fix code-wise, just providing us with some more options. 50 MB, 100 MB, 150 MB, 200 MB, 250MB, ... ? For smaller sizes: 128 KB, 256 KB, 512 KB, 768 KB, 1MB, 1.5 MB

Maybe for a next installment we could choose a buffering size based on time instead of fixed MB. Like I want to buffer 10 seconds or 5 minutes. The actual buffer size of those minutes could be determined based on the maximum allowed bitrate for the type of movie or music streamed.

Jurgen
Jurgen
Beignner
Beignner

Return to Feature Requests